Many of my clients ask “what file do I use and where do I use them?It is a common challenge for many, using the right file formats for the web and print. What file format should you choose and when? We have put together a detailed look into the usages of each file format.Web File formats – best for website & social media:
- web graphics (for web only): GIF, PNG is compressed without quality loss.
- GIF (Graphic Interchange Format), images can be animated and saved as “animated GIFs,” which are used to display basic animations on websites. They may also include transparent pixels, which allow them to blend with different colour backgrounds.
- PNG (Portable Network Graphic) is usually used for graphics, text graphics, logos, designs and icons. PNG images can be save also with a transparent background and only saved as RGB, which makes it unable to use for printing.
- JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) Many images and graphics are saved in the JPEG format because the compression format significantly reduces the file size of images, which decreases page load time and the size of a file. However, the compression used by JPEG may noticeably reduce the image quality if high amounts of compression are used. If using for print, make sure to save as a high quality JPEG.
Printing File Formats types:
- vector illustrations: EPS, AI and PDF allow for more flexibility.
- EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) is a vector file of a graphic, text or illustration. Because it is a vector it can easily be resized to any size it needs to be. An EPS can be reopened and edited. Usually used for master logo files, graphics and print designs.
- PDF (Portable Document Format) is familiar to everyone who has printed materials as flyers, brochures, catalogues. PDF is versatile and popular, many software programs understand it and can open PDF.
– jpegs can also be used for printing so long as it is saved as a high res 300dpi file.I know it’s a lot of information, the true answer is always ask your graphic designer or printer. If you need any help with any kind of graphic material or image let us know www.vibedesignprint.com.au.Great creative is our mission, designing your brand is our passion.